The Organization for Social Media Safety’s 2021 Social Media Safety Video Essay Contest is now open.
What Is This Contest About?
We have found over the years that the students we work with across the country are one of the best sources of information on the social media-related dangers we all face and how to stay safe from them. That is why want to learn from you! Help us teach the world about social media safety while competing for a $2500 cash prize.
To enter the contest, submit a video essay that in some way adds to our collective understanding of social media safety, including how social media-related dangers are impacting today’s youth. Your video can be in the form of a:
- A story
- A demonstration
- An opinion
- Or anything else you can think up …
What is Social Media Safety?
Social media safety means avoiding or most safely responding to the numerous social media-related dangers that are impacting teens and tweens every day. Dangers like:
- Hate Speech
- Sexual Harassment
- Human Trafficking
- Social Media Addiction
- Eating Disorders and Body Dysmorphia
- Substance Abuse
How Will We Judge?
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Interest: Does your video hold the viewer’s attention? Is it creative and compelling?
- Impact: Does your video increase social media safety? Will your video raise awareness among the public? Will your video change behavior?
- Contribution: Has your video added to the public’s knowledge about social media safety?
Highlights of the Rules
- Entries must be submitted by December 31, 2021, via the online form below.
- Entrants must be U.S. residents and between the ages of 13 and 22 as of December 1, 2021.
- Video essay submissions do not have a time limit but keep in mind that shorter videos are often more engaging.
- We recommend that video essay submissions be shot in landscape mode (horizontally).
- Only one contest entry (1 originally produced video) is permitted per person.
- Entry must be new and original work. (Any submission that is found to use third-party material, including music, without proper licensing will not be accepted.)
- Nudity, profanity, explicit violence, drug use, or other inappropriate or unsafe content is not permitted.
- Applicants are solely responsible for their film production – this includes obtaining appropriate releases for all persons who appear on-camera, including minors and their parents/guardians.
- Please ensure that you are comfortable having your submission shared widely with the public. The Organization for Social Media Safety may use submissions in future public awareness campaigns or events.
You must review the complete, official Terms and Conditions of the contest before making your submission.
Official 2021 Video Essay Contest Entry Form
Instructions: (1) Upload your video essay by clicking the button below. (2) Complete the entire entry form and click the submit button. Failure to follow both steps will result in your entry not being considered for the contest.
Upload Your Video Essay File *
Thank you for your interest, but the 2021 Social Media Safety Video Essay Contest is now closed. Please check back soon for next year's contest.